L’Alcôve is part of the Robinson House, built in 1834 in stone and wood in the neoclassical style by Hezekiah Robinson. It is one of the first buildings in Waterloo.
Hezekiah Robinson (1791 – 1851) was an important figure in the life of Waterloo. He was a businessman, justice of the peace and civil servant. Born into an American Congregationalist family, Hezekiah Robinson was educated at Newfane College in Vermont. At the age of 18, he worked as a carder and manufacturer of “made clothing” in the summer and as a schoolteacher in the winter. On June 30, 1817, he married Selucia Knowlton, eldest daughter of Luke Knowlton, Deputy Judge of Windham County, and from this marriage nine children were born. In May 1821, he immigrated to Stukely Township when the Eastern Townships were opened to the Loyalists and settled in Waterloo shortly thereafter.
You will find the name Robinson in many public landmarks in Waterloo. Although the house remained in the Robinson family until the early 20th century, it was once owned by distinguished members of society, professionals and artists, before becoming the home of the Huckel-Fidalgo family.
Over time, the house has had many different vocations, such as the restaurant “Le Coq du Village” or the “Gite de Monsieur Robinson”, until it became today the workshop-boutique of the ceramic artist Coralie Huckel.
Come and relax!
Very bright open concept loft on the second floor that can accommodate up to four people with a closed bedroom (queen size bed) and bedroom space (double bed) in the open concept living room. Full kitchen with island and dining area.
Bathroom with bathtub. Private covered veranda and access to the garden of the property.
Entrance through the veranda.
Sleeping area with double bed